Chakastaypasin Band refers to the people who signed Treaty 6 with Chief Chakastaypasin in 1876 and were the owners of IR 98 on the south branch of the Saskatchewan River, approximately 50 kilometers west of IR 100A. The Band was scattered following the 1885 North-West Rebellion, its members dispersed to other reserves and the Chakastaypasin paylist discontinued in 1889. Most Chakastaypasin members moved to Cumberland IR 100A, where they were known as either the Chakastaypasin Band or Big Head’s Band until 1896. One of the important outcomes of the North-West Rebellion for the Chakastaypasin Band was the department’s characterization of the entire band in 1885 as “rebels.” This generalization led to the department’s efforts to “break up” the band and depose Chief Chakastaypasin. Shortly thereafter, in 1886, a distinction was made: a portion of the band, led by Chief Chakastaypasin, continued to be viewed as “rebels,” while the remaining portion of the band, led by Kahtapiskowat came to be viewed as “loyal.” As early as 1886, the department ordered that the Chakastaypasin band members living near Fort à la Corne be “amalgamated” with the James Smith Band. Assistant Indian Commissioner Hayter Reed later commented that the Chakastaypasin Band had consented “to join Peter Chapman’s Band,” but there is no record of this agreement.
First Nation or Métis