The Deputy Superintendent General of Indian Affairs closed the Battleford Industrial School with the intention of replacing it with new and improved day schools. It was closed on May 31, 1914. The school experienced a decline in enrolment each year subsequent to 1907, resulting in a reduction of staff. The reduction in student enrolment and number of staff made the policy of residential/industrial school self-sufficiency difficult to maintain. For example, to meet the costs of running the school, parts of the school's land was being parceled and transferred as early as 1905. This transferred land was used for roadway construction and railroads. The final portion of land was sold to the Battleford Academy of Seventh Day Adventists in 1911, and was released after the school was officially closed in 1914.
POINT (-108.305243 52.736268)
Rural or Urban