On February 16, 1889, people from La Ronge and Montreal Lake gathered at the mouth of the Montreal River for the purpose of signing Treaty 6. No land was alloted at the time of the signing since the people were trappers and fishermen and ranged over the entire area south of Foster Lake and north of what is currently known as Waskesiu. In 1896, land was set aside south of Prince Albert National Park for those members of Montreal Lake and La Ronge who wished to farm.The Little Red River Reserve was officially divided between the Lac La Ronge and Montreal Lake bands in 1948, making band governance and control over this land much easier. Even up until 1948 the bands had been fighting off petitions for the sale of their land, and the division made dealing with these petitions much easier.
The division of this reserve, along with changes to the boundary of Prince Albert National Park, gave members of Montreal Lake and Lac La Ronge bands greater access to lands in this region.