During 1878 and 1879 a preliminary South Saskatchewan River survey was conducted on the behalf of the Canadian government. Largely ignoring the presence of the Metis and their river lot land division system, a township surveying system was adopted (six square miles, subdivided into 36 sections, each mile square or 640 acres was divided into four quarter sections of 160 acres).
LAC, MG26, A, 105: 42343, A.M. Burgess to D.L. Macpherson, 18 April 1885. SABR, Suveyors’ Correspondence files, IV, 1 “Halfbreed Grievances in the Prince Albert District, 1884-1886,” V. Végrévilleto E. Deville, 19 January 1884.